Compass Point Quilts & CPQ Studio
Pre-Class Cutting, Set-up and Supply List
Saturday, July 27
8:30-11:30 a.m. and 1:30- 4:30 p.m.
Pre-cutting the fabrics is a mandatory requirement prior to participating in this workshop weekend. Please begin preparing for class at least 2-WEEKS prior to the class to make sure that you are able to get familiar with your pattern and complete the pre-cutting beforehand. It is important that you have your pre-class cutting completed. If this step is not completed, you will have a difficult time keeping up and participating in instruction. We always recommend reading through your entire pattern several times before beginning.
If you have purchased a kit, your fabric selection has been completed for you! If you are choosing your own fabrics, you will want to start by choosing a “focus” fabric for the background. After that, you will want to choose additional fabrics that will coordinate with your focus fabric.
Preparing your Foundation & Template Papers:
Prior to class, you will need to trim the individual sections of Foundation Papers and Templates at 1/8” around the outside line. DO NOT cut any sections apart. Trim only around the outside lines.
- Foundation Papers: These are the foundations that you will sew the fabric directly onto. These need to be trimmed leaving a 1/8” border. In some areas, you may not have enough room to leave an 1/8” border, just trim leaving a small amount of room past the solid black line. DO NOT cut the individual units apart.
- Templates: These are cut out of the newsprint leaving a 1/8” border. We will use these templates in class to cut accurate fabric sections.
If you purchase a kit from CPQ, there will be an additional Fabric Cutting Sheet in your pattern. If you are choosing your own fabrics, please contact me and I will forward a generic Fabric Cutting Sheet. **Please do not follow the cutting instructions listed in the pattern. I have condensed, simplified, and organized the cutting.
Please label Ziploc bags with the following letters: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H/I. You will cut by color, cutting first into strips and then sub-cutting into specific squares, rectangles, and/or triangles. There are also strips that are not sub-cut. After cutting each color fabric, place the cut sections of fabric into the appropriate bags. Please pay special attention to keeping the fabrics in order as they are cut, especially if you are using the 24 rainbow of batiks. Clip pieces together using large paper clips and place into the appropriate bag. All fabric cutting should be done prior to the first class.
The following items will be used in class:
- Sewing Machine with a quarter-inch foot and accessories
- Steam Iron
- Ironing Board
- Fold Template (3” x 12” piece of template plastic)
- 12″ Add-a-quarter ruler
- 18″ Add-a-quarter ruler (optional)
- Purple Thang (optional)
- 6″ x 12″ ruler
- Medium size cutting mat (18″ x 24″)
- 17” Rotary cutting mat (if you have one)
- Rotary cutter 45mm or 60 mm
- New rotary blade
- Size 70 needles
- Seam ripper
- Surge protectors
- Extension cords
- Glue Pen (Fons & Porter, Sewline or Avery)
- High quality cotton sewing thread
- Applique or small pins
- Scotch Tape
- Freezer Paper
- Large Ziploc Bags
- Binder Clips
- Large Paper Clips
If you have questions, please feel free to contact me. I can be reached at email@example.com.
Please indicate the workshop/class you are signed up for and the pattern you are working on.