Won’t you donate two or more volunteer hours to Maine Quilts 2024? Volunteers are needed for a variety of duties during show hours. We also need volunteers to help with show set up on Tuesday, July 23 and Wednesday, July 24 and especially show take down on Saturday, July 27. All volunteers receive free admission to the show for the day they volunteer. Those who volunteer on Saturday, Quilt Delivery Day, Tuesday or Wednesday will have their names on a list for free one-day admission on Thursday, Friday or Saturday. For each two hour shift you volunteer you will receive one ticket for the daily drawing for other prizes. Please sign up early.
- Teacher Transportation – on Tuesday or Wednesday meet one or two teachers at the Portland Jetport and drive them to Augusta; on Sunday take them back to Portland Jetport to catch their flights home. Need reliable vehicle with a large, empty trunk; ideally have a cell phone.
- Scribe for Judges – Tuesday 12 -5 or Wednesday 7:45 -1. Must be able to be on feet for 5+ hours, write legibly and record comments precisely and quickly; confidentiality agreement required. Contact Pam Nourse at firstname.lastname@example.org to be a scribe.
Set Up on Tuesday and Wednesday / Take Down Saturday
The majority of these jobs require being on your feet for the full shift. Hanging quilts often requires climbing a ladder.
- U-Haul / Storage Unit
- Driver: pick up 14’ U-Haul truck, drive to storage unit then to Augusta Civic Center on Tuesday; reverse on Saturday. No special license required.
- Load / Unload: load quilt frames, cross bars and other items from storage unit into truck on Tuesday and from truck into storage unit on Saturday. Some moderate lifting involved.
- Organize Quilts: sort quilts by division, category and number; place cross bars, hooks and loops in rows.
- Hang Quilts: work in teams to hang quilts following layout diagram and chairperson’s instructions. Great opportunity to see the quilts up close and personal!
- Quilt Take Down: 25-30 people needed to take quilts down and then assist with quilt pick up.
- Show Take Down: collect materials from around building and pack up, load U-Haul and unload at storage unit.
During the Quilt Show
- Admissions: collect admissions fee, make change, and check registration badges and tickets. Seated.
- MQ Merchandise Sales: Sell t-shirts, pins and other items. Seated/standing.
- Quilters’ Walk: Sell chances on raffle items. Standing.
- Raffle Quilt: sell chances on raffle quilt. Seated.
- Vendor Assistant: Assist vendors with needs such as covering for a quick break, an item not working properly and opening doors for runs for additional merchandise. Standing.
- Volunteer Check In / Check Out: sign volunteers in and out. Seated.
- White Glove: answer questions about quilts, show backs of quilts, remind people not to touch quilts or use pens. Walking / standing entire shift. Main auditorium and Hancock Room.
- Workshop Registration: distribute packets and tote bags, assist people registering for classes and sell lecture tickets. Seated.
Thank you for volunteering!
You will receive confirmation emails in early July listing your volunteer date(s), time and activity.
Questions? Contact Rachel Nelson at email@example.com.